19 Reasons Why You’ll Never Regret Studying English At University
If anyone ever tries to tell you that you’re a fool for studying English at university, simply throw a few of these points their way.
1. Contact hours are ridiculously minimal.
2. Which naturally means maximum time spent in bed.
3. The work load isn’t exactly light, but most of it’s reading.
So you’re technically still perfectly entitled to be in bed…
4. If you wanted to, you could work from anywhere.
Probably the best thing about studying English Literature is that I can take it to the park. Scientists can't move their lab into the sun.
— Gemma Elliott (@gemmaelliott91) March 21, 2015
5. Every now and then something you’ve already read comes up. 😏
Got my reading list for next year and I've read two out of three of them, all of the smugs
— Nick Scott (@nick__47) July 13, 2016
6. And most of the time it’s possible to find a film or TV adaptation of what you’re studying.
7. Besides, if you actually enjoy the text, is it really work?
8. Seminars are essentially just the chance for you to either flail over your favourite characters…
9. Or vent about how much you hate everything in the text.
10. There are very few wrong answers because everything is subjective.
So as long as you can find a critic somewhere backing up your point, you’ll probably get away with it.
11. And unlike in a lot of degrees, there’s a lot of research material already out there.
Not to mention SparkNotes. 👀
12. Revision is essentially just more reading.
13. And there aren’t many exams.
It doesn’t make them any easier, but quality not quantity. 🙌
14. If you’re really lucky, they might even be open book.
15. You’ve basically already won every word-related drinking game.
16. And you can justify spending loads of money on new books.
17. Or writing your dissertation on your favourite book ever.
18. There are a lot of careers you can go into with your degree.
Not just teaching. But if you want to teach, that’s also great. 👍
19. And once you’ve gotten through all those books and essay deadlines, is there anything you can’t get through?
Yep, English was a great shout. 👏