19 Things You Need To Know Before Studying at UCA Farnham
You’ve been warned 😂
1. No one has ever heard of it.
“Farnham, no, not Barnham, Farnham… it’s in Surrey… uh, near London… kind of.”
2. The campus is so small it feels more like a college.
But even smaller.
3. Aside from students, no one in the town is under 60.
4. Probably because no one can really afford to live round here.
Except the incredibly rich old people…
5. Everywhere is ridiculously expensive.
Student prices are not a thing there. You’ll probably end up begging your parents for money one month into the first term.
6. So expect to go completely broke.
Student loan: gone. Overdraft: double gone. Minus numbers forever.
7. You’ll end up spending all your money at Waitrose, as it’s so close.
Trekking ALL the way across town to Lidl is not something you ever want to face until absolutely necessary. So things get out of hand…
8. They even let you borrow their trolleys for moving your stuff into halls.
You gotta love Waitrose.
9. There are no clubs in Farnham. At all.
No dancing for you.
10. But there are plenty of pubs.
Head to The Cobbett and The Plough for the most friendly atmosphere.
11. The student village is awesome and you’ll get to know everyone straight away.
You’ll get to know them even better once you’ve all stumbled back from the SU drunk together.
12. The slow internet in halls will make you want to tear your hair out.
13. Which may be for the best, because your Facebook will be full of friends at other unis talking about their big nights out.
At real clubs and bar crawls with cheap shots and pints, not losing their money on one bank-breaking round of drinks.
14. Back home, finding someone else who also went to UCA feels like some kind of fated miracle.
15. And it’s difficult to complain to any of your ‘academic’ friends that your art coursework is overwhelming.
Because they think all art students do is sit around finger-painting all day.
16. The accent colour on the graduation gowns is lime green.
Good luck finding an outfit that goes with that.
17. But fashion designer Zandra Rhodes is a Chancellor of UCA and will probably be at the ceremony.
Which is pretty damn cool and will probably impress your mum.
— Sonia Bamrah (@SoniaBamrah) August 11, 2014
18. You can always look forward to how pretty the town looks in winter.
Kinda magical, like a fairy-tale town.
19. And all year round, despite its flaws, you won’t regret studying at UCA.