20 Struggles You’ll Encounter at University If You’re One of The Only Girls On Your Course
If you’re studying for a degree in which the majority of the students are guys, you’ll definitely have encountered the following struggles.
1. Being stared at every time you walk into a lecture.
2. And never being able to just blend in to the background because you stand out just by being there.
3. Which means you also can’t really get away with skipping.
4. And often end up being picked on to answer questions because the lecturer actually does know your name.
5. Even when there are other girls on the course, you’re always greatly outnumbered.
6. And if you always sit together, you’re accused of being too much of a clique.
7. Which is unfair for many reasons, the biggest being that the entire class is one huge boy’s club.
Inside references and sexist jokes included.
8. Actually being asked whether you just chose this degree as a way to meet guys.
Obviously! It couldn’t just be that I’m intelligent and interested in this degree…
9. Feeling like you need to be twice as well-versed on the subject than anyone else to be taken seriously.
10. And being all too aware that it doesn’t always go down well when you answer a question better than certain people.
11. Often being told “you’re not like other girls”.
12. And detecting an unnecessary tone of surprise whenever you get a first in something.
Why shouldn’t I have got one?
13. Kind of forgetting how to interact with other girls when you’re mostly around guys all the time.
14. And wishing your lecture halls weren’t always filled with a fog of sweat and Lynx body spray.
15. The awkwardness when one of your coursemates tries to flirt with you purely because you’re a girl and you’re there.
16. And feeling like you’re often being treated as the token female in group projects.
17. Being accused of being a “feminazi” if you dare to give back as good as you get.
18. Or having people assume you must be dating one of your guy course friends. Or sleeping with them at least.
“Yeah, I just can’t work in such close proximity to guys without throwing myself at them.”
19. And if you do end up dating one of them, you’re given that smug, knowing look.
No matter how healthy the relationship is.
20. Knowing you’re going to be way too easy to spot on your graduation picture.
But, one thing that isn’t a struggle is knowing how much you’re going to stand out to employers compared to your guy coursemates.