13 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’re a Part-Time University Student
Part-time study can be an affordable and manageable way to study. However, it still comes with its own set of challenges, especially if you’re the only part-timer on your course…
1. The heartbreak of going from earning a full time wage to a part-time pittance.
One stray spending spree and you’ll be eating beans on toast for the next three weeks. Lucky full-time beggars with their loans and grants…
2. But it’s either that or working full time and struggling to keep up with the university work.
Which is pretty much impossible.
3. Everyone constantly wants to know your reasoning behind being a part-timer.
Some of us have to balance a job, or a family, or manage a long-term health condition. Some folks just want the flexibility. It’s as simple as that.
4. And you’re very aware that people assume part-time study is easy.
Which couldn’t be further than the truth.
5. The pain of having to accept that your course is twice as long due to the part-time hours.
You feel old watching the new recruits coming in. Like Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption.
6. And of having to watch your full-time friends graduate before you.
7. You feel like you don’t have time to enjoy student life the way everyone else does.
Nights on a weekday are frankly just not sustainable
8. But you do appreciate being able to spread out your work into more manageable chunks.
More time to dedicate to your assignments, and more time to take well deserved naps.
9. And having extra time to think about your dissertation and conduct more in-depth research.
10. Being a part-timer means that your lecturers know exactly who you are.
Which is great when it comes to developing a good rapport, but also means you can never just blend in.
11. But that your course mates often have no idea.
12. You often feel under more pressure to do well than everyone else.
You’re paying more and have more time to complete the course, so everyone – including you – has higher expectations.
13. And even though you doubt your decision frequently, you have to remind yourself that this is the best thing for you.
Part-time students get less credit than they deserve. Pat yourself on the back because you rock!