15 Things You Miss About Nights Out When You Graduate From The University of Derby
As Derby graduates, we’ve all experienced the routine that comes with an average night out there, and we’re all secretly missing it.
1. Trying to rope someone from Peak Court into hosting pre-drinks.
Those en suite rooms just make everything easier.
2. Calculating how long it will take you to get from Kedleston campus to your halls.
And then to your mates with time spare to drink.
3. Attempting to negotiate the divide between those who want to go to Mosh and those who don’t.
Bonus points if half the room wants to go to Syn.
4. Stopping off at the Sainsbury’s Local which has the only cash point for a couple of miles.
5. Realising that it’s broken down again, so buying some gum inside and awkwardly begging for cashback.
6. Getting to the Friary and hearing Sum 41’s ‘In Too Deep’ for the first of possibly 3, maybe 4 times that night.
7. Sitting outside even if it’s absolutely freezing because the indoor seats and pool tables are long, long gone.
8. Watching people scramble like ants to turn the heat lamps back on whenever the timer runs out.
9. Making the important decision of whether to wait here until the next place has gotten good or give Walkabout a shot for a couple of hours.
You might even consider poking your head into Scream if things were looking that dead.
10. Turning up to Mosh or Walkabout way too early and end up feeling like you’re the first person at a school disco.
11. Rushing to the bar in a bid to drink away the awkwardness.
12. And praying that more people turn up soon.
13. Having the important and heated after-club debate of which takeaway to hit up.
Sarry’s and Barry’s will always cause a divide, and that’s before we consider Derby Grill.
14. Seeing the queue for taxis on Friar Gate and deciding that you’d rather brave the cold.
Live at Lonsdale? Hah, have fun!
15. Telling yourself that the night really wasn’t worth the hangover, but ending up doing it all over again.
And again and again and again.