10 Things Every University Cheerleader Is Tired of Hearing
Cheerleading – whether you’ve done it for years or are a newcomer, uni simply wouldn’t have been the same without it. You wouldn’t, however, miss some of the things people say/ask you about it, such as…
1. “So, do you guys use pompoms?”
Old-school cheerleaders may have used pompoms, but University All Stars are a little too busy throwing people in the air to be holding sparkly pieces of plastic!
2. “What’s your chant, then?”
Having to shout even one word is cringe enough. If a coach suggests a full chant, there’s only one way we’re going to react…
3. “And why are you always so bruised?”
Cause this happens a lot:
4. “What sports team do you cheer for?”
WE ARE THE SPORT, GOD DAMNIT.
5. “But it’s not really a sport though, is it?”
No, throwing 120 lb of human in the air, followed by a few back flips is not physical exertion at all…
6. “Well then, you must get with so many Rugby guys on cheer nights out!”
Cheer socials start at 8pm, so there are at least 4 hours of solid drinking before we even go out. It’s highly unlikely, actually.
7. “You’re small, do you get thrown in the air a lot?”
THANKS FOR NOTICING I’M SMALL. I AM AWARE.
8. “And you’re not very peppy, I can’t imagine you being a cheerleader.”
Contrary to popular belief, uni cheerleaders do not spend their degree constantly flicking their hair and shaking their booties.
9. “Boys who do cheerleading must be way too weak for normal guy sports.”
How many University footballers would be able to do this?
10. And finally: “Cheerleaders always look so hot!”
Yeah… if you mean in temperature, then you’re absolutely right. Just take a look at our competition photos.