17 Things That Happen In Your First Year of Uni That Change You Forever
University isn’t all fun and games… as first years will quickly realise.
1. Realising the true horror of how expensive food really is.
2. And having to accept that you’ve been taking your mum’s cooking for granted.
How is it possible to burn rice? 😭
3. The total reevaluation of how much money you can spend on different things.
£3 for a tumble dry?! I’m better off hanging things outside my window. But another night out that will easily cost more than £3? Hell to the yes.
4. Feeling lost all the time.
Where is your lecture? Where is your building? Where are you?
5. Sitting in lectures where you have no idea what’s happening.
Just smile through the pain and nod.
6. Ending up in the same seminar as that annoying person who constantly puts their hand up.
They always wind up sitting next to you, and even correct the lecturer sometimes.
7. The horror of being set your first assignment and feeling like you’ve forgotten how to write.
Get ready to stare at the computer screen for hours on end.
8. Discovering the true possibilities of extreme procrastination.
Anything is more important and much more interesting than writing your essay.
9. Realising that you’ve somehow irreparably ruined your sleep schedule.
And now you’re always tired.
10. And that you have no self control when it comes to night outs.
The FOMO is so real.
11. Having to look after a drunk friend before you’ve even left predrinks.
You honestly love them, but it’s gross.
12. And also discovering what it truly means to be hungover.
Here’s a clue: it’s not fun.
13. Coming to the conclusion that there’s nowhere more unsanitary than a halls kitchen.
We’re pretty sure some dishes have been sat in the sink since Freshers’ Week.
— Hamish Fraser (@hamishfraser11) November 28, 2012
14. And finding that your food has been stolen more than once.
You’ll probably never know who it is but the milk thief is always there, lurking in the darkness.
15. The sad realisation that you cannot actually ever face a 9am lecture after a night out*.
*Or ever, really.
16. Being conned into thinking that if you haven’t put down a deposit for a student house by November, all the “good ones” will be gone.
Don’t believe them. There are no “good ones”.