11 Things Everyone Going Into Their Final Year of Uni Should Know
If you’re just about to go into your final year of university, here are some things you should know.
1. Your final year will be hard, we might as well be honest about it.
But, don’t forget that you’ve just done two, maybe more, years of university already, and you conquer this one too. Time to make a playlist of cheesy, confidence boosting songs and face this challenge head-on.
2. Everyone will be just as stressed as you are.
It’s tempting to believe that you’re the only one who’s panicking, but you’re really not. Everyone’s in the same boat, trying to stay afloat of the final year workload.
3. It’s boring but true that knuckling down and getting ahead is worth it.
Preparation really is key. Might as well be the envy of your less organised friends while you’re at it.
4. Work consistently rather than just flat out.
If you work well each day then you’ll avoid the dreaded last minute all-nighters. Time to start sorting through that sea of lecture notes!
5. There will come a time when you’re going to doubt your abilities.
And it may well happen in spectacular and dramatic fashion too…
6. So remember that it’s okay to struggle, and it’s okay to ask for help.
They say a problem shared is a problem halved, so share your final year woes with as many people as you can! Just kidding. But seriously. Arranging a meeting with your tutor for extra guidance can only benefit you.
7. There’ll be a lot of pressure to have your after-uni plan sorted, but don’t let that phase you too much.
Most people are just as nervous about the end of student life as you are and there’s plenty of support to help you find your way.
8. Don’t forget to enjoy your last year of university.
With all the stress of dealing with the present and planning for the future, it’s easy to start willing the year away, but don’t. University doesn’t last forever, and you’ll miss it when it’s over. Spending time with your housemates, hanging out in your messy student house eating yesterday’s pizza will never have seemed so good.
9. Remember that, at the end of the day, not getting a first isn’t the end of the world.
If you find that first class degree falling into unreachable territory, try to keep some perspective. Yes, we’d all like to come away from uni with a first, but it’s not the be-all and end-all. As long as you can say you’ve tried your best, that’s all that really matters.
10. As cliché as it sounds, you’ll blink and it will be over.
If the rest of university seems to have gone fast, by this time next year you may not even be sure final year actually happened.
11. And finally, no matter how hard it gets, it will all be worth it in the end.
There’ll be times when it really doesn’t feel it, but the pride you’ll feel when you make it to the end will make up for everything.