The 16 Very Real Struggles of Writing a Journalism Dissertation
You’ve been studying for almost 3 years, but your editing skills are still rubbish 😭😭
1. Firstly, deciding which type of dissertation to actually do.
Features? Magazine? Radio piece? They sound equally as daunting.
2. Thinking at first that broadcast sounds like the easiest option until you realise that your editing skills are on par with that of a 5 year old.
3. Underestimating the sheer amount of work that is actually required.
The days of writing casual 200-word news stories are well behind you.
4. Knowing in the back of your mind that you might have to travel far to gather certain types of information.
Because, unfortunately, all your sources are unlikely to be within your university library.
5. Being ignored by every person imaginable when trying to get an interview.
Even your mum has had enough.
trying to get interviews for this dissertation is proving a massive challenge.
— Cat Cutmore (@xCat15x) July 31, 2014
6. Or finding noteworthy people to interview who you just know you’re probably never going to get hold of.
Do Theresa May or the mayor have a minute to spare?
7. But when you finally start getting somewhere, you worry that your list of interviewees will be way too short.
You could interview the Queen and all her staff but still think that wasn’t enough.
8. The many phone calls and emails to potential interview candidates are a real drag.
9. FinalCutPro will become your worst enemy.
It literally takes over your life.
10. Realising much too late that you can actually write about something you’re interested in.
11. But then starting to hate the topic.
Uni work + your interests = gradual loathing of said interest.
12. Getting so stressed by everything that you start to wonder why on earth anyone wants to be a journalist anyway.
13. Being aware that the more you write, the more time you’ll have to spend looking back and proofreading.
14. Continuously being tempted to restart your thesis once you’ve read your classmates’ ones.
How can my little features compare to an actual magazine?!