17 Struggles Every Graduate Who’s Ever Applied For Unpaid Work Experience Will Recognise
For whatever reason you applied for unpaid work experience as a graduate, you’ll definitely recognise these struggles.
1. Making the mistake of thinking that it would be easy for you to get unpaid work experience at least.
You are in your 20s after all, and you have a degree.
2. But having that belief destroyed approximately five seconds into the search.
3. Not being able to believe how many hoops you’re required to jump through for a job that doesn’t pay.
Two interviews, a presentation, a handstand, an Olympic gold medal? Is that it?
4. Knowing that your competition for the role is probably some 16 year old fresh out of their GCSEs.
Did I mention I have a DEGREE?
5. Which only makes the rejection even harder to take.
6. The pain of being told you’re too old for one role…
7. But too young and inexperienced for another.
8. Having to clarify again and again to family that you are working for free as a graduate.
9. And that this doesn’t mean your degree was a waste of time and money.
10. Discovering that all those years of doing shit jobs that would “look great on your CV” were basically for nothing.
"please list RELEVANT work experience" well bro all i got is retail so that's all you're gonna gET
— 🦊 (@KABUKlCHO) December 30, 2016
11. Or realising that someone on your course actually has a paid role at the company you’re applying to.
Avoid awkward interaction at all costs.
12. The frustration you feel every time the work experience you find is in London.
Aka, the least unpaid worker friendly city ever.
13. Being told in the interview that the job requires you to be assertive and humble at the same time.
14. But also knowing that you’ll probably just end up being the office coffee runner.
Better invest in some trainers instead of work wear.
15. Having to listen to people joke that working for free won’t pay off your university debt.
Thanks for that, I hadn’t realised until you just said ☺️
16. Eventually feeling yourself becoming numb to the pain of rejection.
im gonna apply for this work experience so i can make the list of things i wanted to do but got rejected from longer 😋
— ㅤtam (@brokelynbaby) December 18, 2016