19 Things Every Southerner Needs To Know Before Studying Up North
Coats on nights out are unacceptable.
1. Northerners a very friendly bunch. For the most part.
Especially after a drink or two.
2. And we’ll expect you to be friendly right back.
If we say hi and smile at you on the train, don’t look at us like we’ve got three heads. Smile back.
3. Our accents are not all the same.
If you think Mancunion sounds anything like Geordie, there’s something wrong with your hearing.
4. And trying to imitate them is never a good idea.
5. Also, saying we sound like various famous Northerners is never an insult, jsyk.
Like Peter Kay, for example. He’s a comedy genius and his accent is a delight.
6. Contrary to popular belief, we don’t eat gravy with everything.
Sorry to disappoint you.
7. But if we do put it with something, you are not allowed to judge us.
Because gravy is 👌 and you really should get on board with it.
8. The same goes for curry.
Fish + chips + curry = heaven
9. If we ask you if you want tea, we mean food.
We don’t mean dinner. Because dinner is lunch.
10. And we’ll offer you cuppas or brews repeatedly until you accept one.
Why would you say no, really?
11. If you’re ever stuck for conversation, anything about the weather always goes down well.
“It’s brisk out there isn’t it?”
12. But if you complain about the cold before it’s officially winter, you will be judged for it.
It’s just a bit chilly. It’s practically still summer.
13. And don’t even think about taking a coat on a night out unless it’s snowing.
And even then, you should really think it through.
14. Try not to act too surprised when you discover that not everywhere looks like Corrie.
It’s really quite insulting.
15. And that it doesn’t actually rain all day every day.
16. When you start accidentally picking up on the vocabulary, just embrace it.
It’s a good thing that you said barm rather than roll.
17. But understand that only another Northerner can insult the North.
It’s the law.
18. Most of all, you need to know that the North is the best place to be a student.
It has everything you need for a fraction of the price you’d be paying down South.
19. In fact, you may never want to leave.