18 Things You’ll Only Understand If You Go To University In a City
Sure, it’s littered, noisy and over-crowded, but for all its faults, it’s where you call home when you’re at university. And there are some things only you will understand about living there.
1. Your student loan is in constant danger because of the endless amount of shops on your doorstep.
2. And the fact that it’s so easy to travel to wherever you want to go from a city.
3. It’s just a shame that you can’t really afford it.
4. You become a pro at blocking out unwanted noise.
What sirens, car horns and drunken revelry?
5. Which makes you appreciate escaping to somewhere prettier and quieter so much more.
Never realised how many trees there are at home as when I come back from uni in a city and feel like my village is literally in a forest 🌲🌴🌿
— Megan Rees (@MeganERees) March 6, 2016
6. And make the most of every patch of greenery you see. No matter where it is.
7. And as soon as the weather turns warmer, all you want to do is
revise drink outside in the sun.
8. You’re forever upset about how much more expensive it is to rent student accommodation in a city.
9. And how hard it is to avoid the temptation of getting take out all day, every day.
10. Even though you love how many bars and restaurants there are to chose from.
“Cheeky Nando’s? There are, like, 5 to chose from.”
11. Your parents always think you’re unsafe.
12. But you actually feel quite comfortable because there are always so many people about.
13. There’s usually more than one university, meaning you’re never far from other students.
And you’re never not in competition with them.
You don't know true rivalry until you move to uni in a city with two different unis.
— Serena ★ (@_S3R3NA) February 21, 2016
14. Your heart sinks whenever your friends Instagram their beautiful, scenic campuses.
15. But what you lack in stunning landscapes, you make up for in edgy bars and nightclubs.
16. And graffiti, of course. Which isn’t always a bad thing.
17. Plus, there’s always something happening. No matter what day or time it is.
18. And no matter how much you dislike the hectic city student life at times, you have zero regrets.
biggest regret is not going to a uni in a big city
— luke edmondson• (@EdmondsonLuke) November 24, 2015