26 Fears Every Kent Student Has About Living Off Campus For The First Time
As if moving to uni didn’t test your common sense enough, now you’ve got to live without the safety net of campus around you. You might be looking forward to living with your friends, but you’ll definitely be worried about how you’re going to survive in the big wide world too.
1. Having to clean communal areas because there is no cleaning team coming in every week.
Unless you’re willing to hire one… and pay for them.
2. Not knowing how long you’re actually allowed to shower for now that you’re paying a water bill.
3. Having to figure out what time slots of the day are best to have the radiator on to get optimum heat and not break the bank.
4. Having to provide directions to where you live
And not actually knowing yourself. Awks.
5. Having to allow time to get to lectures.
Gone are the days of waking up at 8.45 (okay 8.50) for a 9am.
6. Having to be strategic about the times at which you borrow library books.
Especially 24 hour loans.
7. Getting locked out of your student house.
Will Campus Watch still come and save you? No.
8. Where are we supposed to play all of the homemade corridor games now?!
Wheelie chair bumper cars is too good to lose.
9. Will pre-drinks ever be as good again?
10. Will it still be possible to go home for naps between lectures?
11. Wondering what the person who has your room this year is like.
12. Worrying that you’ll never be able to attend another halls party again.
Because you’re old now.
13. Fearing having a massive F.O.M.O the first day I walk up Eliot footpath as an ex-halls student.
It’s just not ok.
14. Wondering if you’ll ever go for a spontaneous midweek bender to Ruby Tuesdays, kbar, Mungos or Woody’s again.
Campus will feel so far away this year.
Is walking Eliot footpath really as dreadful as everyone says?!
16. Realising that you’ll have neighbours.
You’ll have to be quiet now…
17. Not having an en-suite anymore.
Dressing gown it is then.
18. Worrying about your house’s fire alarm.
At least the annoying on-campus fire alarms meant that you knew you’d be woken up before the place burnt down.
19. Having to spend a lot more time in Hales Place.
And not knowing whether or not it really is as bad as its reputation makes it out to be.
20. Midnight snacks will be a thing of the past.
Walking yourself to Essentials at midnight, on a chocolate run will probably be a thing of the past.
21. In fact walking anywhere off-campus at midnight is probably now a thing of the past.
22. Dreading attempting to devise a cleaning rota for your new house.
That nobody pays any attention to after you stick it on the fridge and gradually ends up being used as a beer mat at pre drinks…
23. Hoping you’re long gone before they realise just how much student D.I.Y has happened in our halls.
Hanging the fridge door back on ourselves? That definitely never happened.
24. Having to get a broadband package.
Bye bye Eduroam, you were good to us.
25. Having to be strategic about when you go for a poo now.
Whatever whenever will be a thing of the past now…
26. Trying to get your head around how you’re going to live with only one oven.
What happens when packets have different temperatures on them?!