24 Things You’ll Only Understand If You Studied at The University of Surrey
Ok, the nightlife isn’t ideal, but at least lots of the campus is absolutely beautiful.
1. Being woken up every Saturday and Sunday morning by the Cathedral bells.
Just a little something to make your headache after a heavy night out at Rubix that little bit worse.
2. Having to be up ridiculously early to get End of Year Show tickets.
If you want those remaining tickets to see long-forgotten X Factor contestants then you better be patiently waiting on Tixtu at 7.59am.
3. And then receiving a million emails from people begging for tickets.
When you thought your dissertation supervisor had finally replied to your urgent email, but instead it’s just another request for tickets 😩
4. The stress of uploading your work to SurreyLearn at 4pm on a Tuesday.
And risking the Internet crashing at 3.59pm.
5. And the pain that comes with having a campus on the top of a hill.
You always show up out of breath, bright red and feeling ridiculously unfit.
6. The panic you feel when there’s a massive queue to get into the library and your card won’t scan.
There’s nothing more stressful than hearing the tutting and sighing from behind you as you frantically tap your campus card on the scanner.
7. And then spending more time trying to find a computer in the library than actually studying.
Wishing you’d just stayed at home.
8. Always being able to find a reason to hang out by the lake 😍
Stressed? Go to the lake. Sunny? Go to the lake. Want to avoid revision? Go to the lake.
9. And spamming your Instagram with pictures of it.
It’s just so beautiful.
10. Not to mention having at least one photo of yourself in front of the statue of the stag.
Do you even go to Surrey if you don’t have a photo with the stag?
11. Only going to Freshers’ Fair for the free Domino’s vouchers and Wetherspoons discounts.
We’ve all gone to Fresher’s Fair with the intention of signing up to some new societies, but really all we’re there for is the vouchers.
12. The struggle of trying to find a house in second year that isn’t extortionate.
Ah Guildford, the land of impossibly expensive rent.
13. And trekking up to Stoke Park on Bonfire Night.
It’s so worth it though, mainly for the fairground rides and the candyfloss, not for the actual fireworks.
14. Never being able to get over the loss of Channies.
Surrey will never be the same. RIP.
15. Having what feels like a near-death experience in the Paint vs Foam party in Freshers’ Week.
*Inhales foam, slips over, gets paint in eye, wakes up with lots of mysterious bruises*
16. And eventually having to accept that Guildford nightlife is generally absolutely horrific.
When all your friends go to uni in big cities and have a different nightclub to go to every night of the week, and all you have is three clubs on a roundabout and a Wetherspoons…
17. But at least we have DJ Leroy: the best DJ to ever exist.
Not many clubs play a mixture of High School Musical and Queen.
18. Going to Pizzaman after Rubix every time, without fail.
No matter how cold it is, how long the queue is, or how early you have to get up the next morning, you will do whatever it takes to get your hands on that beautiful polystyrene box of cheesy chips.
19. And spending the majority of the rest of your student loan in Simply Fresh.
20. Holding an extreme grudge against Kingston Uni.
Varsity is pretty much just a day of insulting each other.
21. Being tricked into thinking that there was free pizza in the library.
The library staff are cruel for making a sign that says ‘Keep the library FREE of PIZZA’. Do not get our hopes us like that.
22. And never being able to rely on a bus.
They either turn up 30 minutes late or they just never turn up at all.
23. Feeling extremely smug when you say that you go to The Times’ University of the Year 2016.
24. Because although we may not be considered part of the Russell Group, we’re still 100% the best.
There are definitely some things to complain about, but you’d never want to be anywhere else 💕