32 Times New Girl Accurately Summed Up What It’s Like To Live In a Student House
You never really know someone until you move in with them. New Girl sums up the best and worst things about student households.
1. When you first move in and everyone’s suddenly very aware that they don’t know each other that well.
2. Especially when you have to discuss which of you should be in charge of the bills.
No one really wants the responsibility but no one really trusts anyone else to do it properly either.
3. And you realise you now have to know about things like where the stop tap is.
And what to do if you ever need to use it.
4. When your landlord calls unexpectedly and you have to pretend it’s not usually such a mess.
5. Or you get called in to a ‘house meeting’.
Who’s forgotten to take out the recycling for the third week running?
6. How you react the first time you overhear one of your housemates having sex.
Those walls are thin.
7. And how you react after a long time of living together.
8. When you walk out of your room and realise that you’re the housemate everyone heard having sex.
There’s no such thing as privacy in a student house.
9. When, no matter the time of day or night, someone is always up for getting their drink on.
Because every day is the weekend when you’re at uni.
10. And even if they aren’t up for it, they’re easily persuaded.
11. When it’s completely normal to have a deep and meaningful conversation on the floor in any room of the house.
Including the bathroom.
12. And no one bats an eyelid at your getup. Ever.
13. When your drunk housemate wakes you up at 3am because they want you to join in with their antics.
And you don’t know whether to scream at them or laugh.
14. But that’s not as bad as being woken up by your neighbour’s loud music mid afternoon on the weekend.
15. When you have to get used to other peoples’ strange toilet habits.
16. Or just getting used to sharing a toilet in general.
That en suite bathroom in halls never looked so good.
17. But at least you know that you can do absolutely nothing productive with your day and no one will judge you.
Jeremy Kyle and a Netflix marathon it is.
18. When you feel uncomfortable about those two housemates who are a lot closer with one another than the rest of you.
19. Or when someone’s home friends visit and you need to mark your territory.
20. When you can feel tension rising in the house from all the passive aggression in the group chat.
21. Probably because someone keeps leaving food in the sink.
Despite the fact you’ve already had 5 polite rants about it in the group chat.
22. When you’ve got a pile of 3-week-old dirty dishes and mugs that you need to carry from your bedroom to the kitchen without anyone seeing.
Move like a ninja, so no one finds out how much of a slob you truly are.
23. When someone decides to cook a Sunday roast for the whole house and you realise it’s not as easy as your mum makes it look.
24. Or when it’s Christmas time and you decide it would be a great idea to decorate the house.
And leave everything up until you move out.
25. When you go to make a cup of tea only to find there’s a thief in the house.
How are you supposed to have a productive day without a cuppa?