14 False Assumptions People Make About English Literature Students
Unlike the books we read, we’re not quite as easy to categorise.
1. You love all books.
All of them.
2. And you’ve read every book known to man.
Because you have no life outside of books or the library.
3. You prefer characters to real people.
No. Although you won’t deny that you are still secretly upset that you didn’t get a Hogwarts letter.
4. You spend all of your free time in the library.
5. And you are also a member or host of a weekly book club.
The only friends you have are books or other people who want to talk about books. But that’s it.
6. You know everything there is to know about every book that’s ever been published.
7. You want a romance like those in the classics.
And nothing else will suffice.
8. You’re a know-it-all when it comes to grammar.
9. You’re a Dickens and Shakespeare fanatic.
10. You say things like ‘Thou’ and ‘Forsooth’ in regular conversation.
You could, but you don’t.
11. You will be more than willing to help with essays.
It starts with just reading a sentence and quickly escalates into reading the whole thing.
12. You want to be an English teacher.
13. Or the next J.K. Rowling.
14. And you’re only doing an English degree to read and write all day.
This one’s completely fictional…