12 People You’ll Recognise If You’ve Ever Done Group Work at Uni
If you’ve ever worked as part of a group at uni, you’ll definitely recognise these people.
1. The one who immediately takes control of the group.
Someone has to speak first, and it’s going to be them. They assign themselves as leader of the group whether you’re happy with that or not. This can either be a helpful way of getting everything organised, or it can feel as though you might as well call this an individual piece of group work from now on.
2. The one who makes it clear that they have no intention of pulling their weight.
The fact they’ve turned up at all is a miracle. From the get-go, they make no secret of their intention to sit back and let everyone else do the work, hoping that they can get away with doing the barest of minimums.
3. Or the one who doesn’t turn up at all.
Start as you mean to go on, right? They have no interest in joining in, so they’ve decided it’s better just keep away.
4. The one who you wish wouldn’t turn up.
There’s an annoying one in every group, for a myriad of reasons. “Why couldn’t they have been the one not to turn up?” you find yourself wondering.
5. The one whose input is always really unhelpful.
You don’t want to be upset with people who actually are attempting to do some work, but when it comes to this one, no one seems to like their ideas and they kind of just end up wasting everyone’s time.
6. The one who spends the whole time eating.
Suddenly your group work becomes a personal picnic for this one. Please, why not also bring your microwave and coffee machine while you are at it? Or at least share your food?
7. Or the one who can’t put their phone down for two seconds.
This one checks their phone every minute, sometimes you wonder if they are secretly working in Wall Street and checking how their NASDAQ stocks are doing. Even then, they really need to tackle their addiction.
8. The one who’s literally always late.
This one can be relied upon for only one thing: their lateness. To make matters worse, you probably purposely set up a time for their convenience that made no difference whatsoever.
9. Or the one who’s always too busy with something else.
It’s near impossible to tie them down to a date, and even then they might not turn up due to some other commitment. The whole group has to work around their schedule which never goes down well.
10. The one who always has something better to say.
Apparently, they know much more than you. Prepare to have even your best ideas shot down and end up having to compromise for the sake of not losing your shit.
11. The one who turns up at the last minute and somehow takes credit for someone else’s idea.
The absolute worst. They’ve not had to suffer like the rest of you, but they’re going to come out of this with just as good a mark. The nerve of some people.
12. And the one who just really hates group work.
They don’t care how bad the work you end up producing is; they just want it to end. Immediately.