14 Things You Definitely Won’t Miss About University Once It’s All Over
As much as you enjoy the freedom and student discounts, there are some things you just won’t miss about being at uni…
1. Waking up at 9am and somehow being expected to focus in lectures at that ungodly hour.
You can put 9ams on my timetable as much as you like, I’ll never be a morning person.
2. Having lecturers and supervisors and regularly having to explain your lack of essay progress or attendance to them.
Let 👏 me 👏 live.
3. And always being baffled by their inability to work a projector or set up a YouTube video.
4. Not to mention finding out you’ve been assigned the seminar tutor who’s the harshest marker on your course.
5. Being forced to do group projects.
And somehow getting lumbered with the least productive group every time. Then, having to accept you landed them a solid 2:1 off your own back, with them doing almost 0 work.
6. Always having to reference in essays, yet somehow never fully understanding how to do it properly.
“If you do not reference, you will receive a mark of zero,” preached my lecturer with their non-referenced slideshow.
7. Sitting exams. Especially when they’re closed book and count for 100% of the module.
I can barely remember what I had for dinner yesterday, so how can I sit a 2-hour exam on something I heard my lecturer say 10 weeks ago?
8. Doing soul-destroying all-nighters in the university library.
And panicking at 4am when it seemed like you’d just never hit that 3,000 word limit.
9. Somehow being ill all the time and not getting the sympathy you deserve for it.
You learn that Freshers’ Flu isn’t really confined to Freshers’ Week and it certainly isn’t just freshers who get it.
10. Having to deal with student housing and landlords.
You sent a billion emails to your landlord about the hole in the kitchen wall, the mould all over the bathroom, and the broken radiators, but he never responded. He was surprisingly chatty when you were 50p short on the rent though.
11. Consistently having a non-existent sleep schedule.
If you’re not working on your future, you’re working on the sesh.
12. And always being broke AF.
Having to give your family a ring because you only have £10 to live off for the several weeks until your student loan comes in = less than ideal.
13. Eating the same food all the time.
If you’re eating noodles, cereal, a kebab, or McDonald’s at 3am, does it count as breakfast or dinner? You still haven’t figured it out.
14. And, possibly most of all, you won’t miss the freshers.
They’re everywhere you look, just getting in the way with their youthful optimism. If you’re a fresher right now, sorry – but you’ll learn to laugh at them one day soon too.