16 Things You Learn To Hate About Studying at Loughborough University
It’s the best uni ever, but there are some things you could definitely live without.
1. Everyone knows everyone.
Seeing that guy your housemate brought home last night sitting across from you in a lecture hall is spectacularly awkward for everyone involved.
2. And most people do not understand the words “silent study area” in Pilkington Library.
You can’t even shout at them so you just glare (silently) and wait for the librarian to kick them out.
3. When there’s only one copy of a book at Pilkington Library and someone has taken it out, plus three other people are queued up online to request it.
Why does this always happen when you have an essay due in 10 hours?
4. Moving off campus makes everything harder; the library feels so far away…
Once you move to the golden triangle in town, getting to the library is an actual quest.
5. And it always seems like all the good stuff is happening in the student village, or just on campus in general.
Big up Rigg-Rut’s socials and their punches 👏
6. Not to mention the struggle when your friend wants to hang out, but they live in David Collett and you live in town.
7. Having to deal with the stigma of being a testosterone-filled, male-dominated university.
It kind of is. 60% of Loughborough students are male, leaving only 40% female students.
8. When you’re weak and get dragged out on LSU nights.
But hey, it’s worth it: you can retake an exam, but you can’t relive the party you missed.
9. The reliably massive queues for FND, HEY EWE and Echos.
The absolute worst in Freshers’ Week.
10. Wanting to join a sports team and realising just how expensive it is.
At least the kit is really nice and you get to keep it forever.
11. When LEARN fails you.
Worst of all is when it doesn’t update and let you know your morning lecture is cancelled, so you drag yourself there only to find you could’ve stayed in bed.
12. There are so many cyclists. Everywhere.
You have to be on the look out at all times, especially in areas like this:
13. Walking up the hills around campus, like this one:
It’s pretty, but it’s so much effort. If you can take the shuttle bus, always take the shuttle bus.
14. Haslegrave when you’re on a deadline.
It’s an alright place, until you’ve been stuck there for days and nights on end surviving on 100% takeaways and 0% fresh air.
15. When you see people wearing Loughborough stash from head to toe who probably aren’t training or going to the gym.
No other uni students stash up as much as Loughborough students do.
16. But knowing it’s because, really, they love Loughborough as much as you do.
You may complain, but you will always be proud to be a Loughborough student.