27 Reactions Every Psychology Student Will Recognise
If you studied psychology at university, the following will look familiar.
1. When you can’t answer the question “What’s the difference between the brain and the mind?”
Gets us all.
2. When you panic and diagnose yourself with everything you’ve been learning about.
3. When you see that your research results are greater than .05.
4. Or, depending on your personality type, you may react like this…
5. But when you see p <.05, it’s the best thing ever.
6. When you come out of a lecture on neurological disorders and reckon you have ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS.
…no? it can’t be? ..it’s going to be okay, yes, I’m not in denial any more!
7. That awkward moment when you psycho-analyse your non-psychology friends because they’re acting differently.
8. When someone asks if you can tell what they are thinking.
9. When you tell your friends that locking someone in a cupboard to teach them a lesson is unethical and psychologically harmful and they’re like…
10. When people diagnose themselves with OCD because one time, they scrubbed their kitchen counter really hard.
11. When talking about behaviour, your non-psychology friends will try to make a reference to Freud and sex.
12. Your friends reaction to you and another psychology student discussing research, as if it’s another language.
13. When your friends say something that they didn’t mean to and you reply with “FREUDIAN SLIP”
14. When you first heard of the psychoanalysis approach you laughed at the terms penis envy and anal personality. Now, every time you hear it you’re like…
15. Your friend’s face when they ask if you know any psychology jokes and you respond with “I’m a-freud not”.
16. When you’ve told your friends so much about Freud, they become scared of talking about their parents and are like…
17. When you’re revising with friends and are trying to explain action potentials to them.
18. You partake in an fMRI study and get a picture of your brain, and you’re just so happy you don’t have any lesions or enlarged ventricles.
19. When you do something right in SPSS.
20. How you feel when you partake in lengthy experiments.
21. That feeling you get when you know you could’ve pressed quicker in a reaction time task.
22. When you’re conducting a study and your participants either cancel last minute or don’t turn up on time.
23. For the benefit of your study you deceive your participants and they’re like…
24. When you turn up to lectures and you’re emotionally ruined by the content.
Let’s never do that again.
25. When you’re told that personality traits can be detected through the face, so you try and take a nice selfie.
26. Pavlov, HOW COULD YOU?!
27. And when you realise that you’re constantly psychoanalysing yourself.
Stay strong psychologists.