14 Struggles Every Student From The South West of England Has Encountered At University
Being a student from the South West of England comes with its struggles. Here are just 14 of them.
1. Constantly having the piss taken out of your accent.
You think I sound like a farmer? Wow, never heard that one before.
2. And actually having to correct the assumption that you are not, in fact, a farmer.
Although it’s totally fine if you are, by the way.
3. Knowing there’ll be at least one person who’ll make some sort of joke about you being inbred.
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone from the South West’s brother’s sister’s mother’s auntie is also their cousin.
4. Or that you probably own a gun. Because you’re a farmer. Right?
Another misconception caused by that wonderful film Hot Fuzz.
5. Craving proper pasties if you study far from home.
6. And realising that cider just doesn’t taste the same.
The beauty of a Rattler pint as you sip it in the crisp, South West summer air has no comparison.
7. But then also feeling like you need to hide your love of them both away.
Because it’s just so cute that you, a person from the South West, would love pasties and cider so much.
8. Having to accept that unless you remain in the South West, your travel to and from uni will be extortionate.
With the exception of Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, the South West is some distance from pretty much everywhere else, meaning massive petrol spends or huge train fares.
9. And that life is a lot more fast-paced than you care for, really.
Everything’s a lot more chill back home.
10. Coming to the realisation that student house parties can’t compare to parties in a barn or on a farm.
Good old field parties make for the best nights. Not that we’re all farmers, just to confirm.
11. And missing how much friendlier everyone is back home.
That causal hello from a random stranger is always missed at uni.
12. Accidentally using West Country-isms with your uni mates and never living it down.
Now they all just say ‘gurt lush’ and ‘Alright me luvver’ for no apparently reason whenever you’re around.