17 Struggles Every Student Bartender Has Endured At Least Once
Also known as star-tenders, student bartenders not only work the graft of university but also the graft of the long nights in the bar. Here are just 17 of the struggles these, noble, brave and poor souls have to endure at least once.
1. The pain of having to turn down a night out with your mates to go and work in the bar they’re going to.
2. And then being forced to watch them all have fun without you.
3. Or being asked for free rounds all night long.
4. Which doesn’t go down well when you say you can’t sort them out.
5. Suffering from a never ending lack of sleep.
When you’re not working you’re either catching up on uni work or making the most of an opportunity to spend your hard earned cash.
6. And then not being able to sleep when you have the chance thanks to your ruined sleeping schedule.
7. Except for in lectures of course when it seems to come easier than ever.
Lights out, dream begins and then bam! Back into the middle of advanced statistics, or neo-liberalism in the 21st century.
8. Recognising people on campus who you witnessed embarrassing themselves on a night out.
9. Or being recognised yourself.
“Ahhhh it’s you from the bar!!!!”
10. The awkwardness of being chatted up by someone on your course who doesn’t realise who you are while you’re working.
11. Or of people thinking you’re chatting them up when you’re really, really not.
12. The weirdness of seeing your lecturers on a night out.
Especially if you end up serving them.
13. And the dread when it’s your turn to deal with the latest chunderer.
14. Having to work during a society social.
“Please, please, please let me be off when it’s Rugby’s turn.”
15. And often struggling to get to grips with everyone’s different accents.
One of the greatest things about being at university is how many people from various different cities, regions and even countries it brings together, but this can be a bit of a problem for you when you’re working behind the bar trying to decipher whether someone’s asking for a Corona, Peroni or Negroni.
16. Having a night out yourself but ending up in the bar where you work.