8 Things You Need To Know About Joining a Women’s Rugby Team at University
So you’re now one of those shiny new freshers who need to expand horizons and meet new people. And what better way to do that than join a sports society?
Even if you don’t like sport you can always join for the social side. Because let’s face it, our socials are unrivalled.
If Women’s Rugby is your choice, here are 8 things you should be aware of before joining.
1. Playing rugby does not make you a lesbian.
Hard to believe, I know.
2. But you will become closer to the other girls on the team than you ever thought possible.
Especially if you’re part of the scrum. Or just show up for tackle practice. You’ll learn to love it, don’t worry.
3. They will make you drink stupid amounts of alcohol – and you’d better be happy about it.
Drinking till you feel like your eyeballs are swimming in tequila becomes a great thing. Promise.
4. You will occasionally be asked whether or not you are in an abusive relationship.
You’re not. Studs to the face just tend to leave a mark.
5. You’ll know more about your team then you ever really wanted to – this includes bodily functions, sexual prowess and injury history.
You’ll know so much it’ll feel like you’ve known them forever. And ever. And ever.
6. Your parents will become used to you knocking yourself out on the pitch and after a while will just nod and shrug when you tell them about your recent injury.
7. Get ready to be a ‘rugby girl’ for the rest of your life. It’s like the mafia, once you’re in, you’re in for life.
I didn’t write the rules.
8. And finally, you’ll never regret joining.
Because really, who doesn’t want to hang out with a bunch of girls where drama is close to nonexsistant, drinking is thought of as a normal past time even at one in the afternoon, and bruises are something to show off. Being a part of this sort of family will be one of the things you’ll treasure for the rest of your life. Which they will be a part off. Forever.