17 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’ve Studied In The Kimberlin Library at De Montfort
If you’re a De Montfort student who’s ever studied (or tried to at least) in the Kimberlin Library, you’ll understand the following things.
1. First things first, let’s talk about the floors…
There’s a different vibe on every floor, so depending how much work you’re actually prepared to do while you’re in the library you need to choose carefully.
2. Lower Ground is for the silent study troopers until they were met with the Syndicate Warriors.
Let’s be fair, we’ve all had experiences with the syndicate rooms being double booked, so you know no one gets out alive without a fight.
3. Ground Floor may as well be renamed as The Social Club Playground.
Don’t worry if you’ve ever missed out on your Wednesday night social, you can always rely on the ground floor to come through…
4. First Floor is probably the only space where you might actually get some work done.
On a good day. If no one uses the hand dryer in the toilet. Or the emergency cord in the disabled toilet.
5. The Top Floor is clearly Procrastination Zone.
This used to be the only quiet zone until the new intake of Freshers found procrastination as their new calling.
6. When fines were introduced to make sure the quiet zones stayed quiet.
Or you even text “shhh” anonymously.
7. Having a love-hate relationship with the security guards.
You loved them when they kicked someone out of a syndicate room for you, but hated them when they would always catch you off guard doing anything but studying.
8. Checking the DMU Library page at least four times while you’re supposed to be studying.
Have I been mentioned? I need to know.
9. First rule of the library is to never use the toilets.
If you ever need the toilet, you’re better off packing up and heading home. Or you could channel your inner champion to become the new Guinness world record breaker for the longest time holding your breath and your pee.
10. When the library finally became 24 hours.
This was a gift like no other!
11. But then pulling 24 hour library shifts became the norm.
We’ve all had the struggle and now know watching animal compilations is a great way to stay awake.
12. When they finally allowed the consumption of food and drink on most floors!
BEST! DAY! EVER!!
13. And then they started to give out free food during exam season.
14. Just how unreliable the printers are.
Just your luck that when it’s close to deadline time, everybody decides to print at the same time. Then when it’s your turn, one’s out of paper, one’s jammed, and the other one ran out of ink (don’t worry we’ve all been there).
15. When you’ve waited in a long queue to print and your student card doesn’t scan or the documents weren’t sent to the printer.
16. We’ve all seen everyone, including ourselves, have at least one mini breakdown.
The library was a safe space and everyone was in the same boat. Have as many breakdowns as you want guys, we’re here for you.