23 Things You’ll Only Understand If You Study Art at University
If you study Art, you’ll be very familiar with the pros and cons that come along with it.
1. Everyone assumes that you’re not very bright just because you study the arts.
Got into the same uni though, didn’t we? *Flips hair*
2. And people aren’t afraid to tell you it’s a ‘doss subject’.
Just do not go there.
3. You have to deal with being told at least once a day that you have something on your face.
THANKS, I DIDN’T NOTICE.
4. And paint on every single item of clothing you own.
Bye bye fancy things.
5. So you have to dress like a homeless person.
You simply can’t afford to wreck any more decent clothes.
6. And it doesn’t help having the most run-down block on campus.
At least it has character. And/or ghosts.
7. Not being able to go 2 hours without taking an ‘artsy’ picture.
We never miss a good photo-opp.
8. Having to work on a piece you hate for over a month.
Please send help.
9. And having to actually write essays, too.
This is not what I signed up for.
10. Trying to explain to the non-art folk how long things take…
“That took you 2 months?”
11. …Yet you’re expected to produce a ‘masterpiece’ in under a week.
12. Having to carry giant canvases across a never-ending campus.
And never needing to go the gym again.
13. Being subjected to the weirdest art videos ever.
14. And becoming completely immune to weird.
Nothing can shock you anymore.
15. When something doesn’t come out how you pictured it in your head.
16. And you feel like you’ve wasted hours of your life.
Which essentially, you have.
17. And then when you’re done you try not to cry when someone asks: ‘What is it?’
Smiling through the pain.
18. Having a really good idea but not being able to actually do it.
Because art students do not in fact own a money tree.
19. Then realising you’ve spent your month’s wages on oil paint.
20. Seeing everyone else’s work in the exhibition.
I’ll see myself out.
21. And coming to the conclusion that you may have chosen the wrong career path.
22. But really, you know in your heart that art is your passion.
23. And you wouldn’t have it any other way.