24 Struggles You’ll Recognise If You’ve Ever Worked at a Summer Camp In America
Working at a summer camp in America sounds like a lot of fun, but it has its challenges as well.
1. Genuinely fearing you’ll never find your colleagues in the airport.
Especially if your phone has already died.
2. Having to stop by Walmart and perform a supermarket sweep to pick up bedding.
You’ve got $20 and 10 minutes. Run.
3. Arriving at camp at 2am and accidentally waking up your colleagues in your cabin.
Making a great first impression.
4. Training week begins and it feels like Freshers’ Week all over again.
Who said you can’t have fun and be in pain at the same time?
5. Jumping in the lake at the crack of dawn as a ‘bonding exercise’ and questioning the meaning of life.
6. Praying you won’t be attacked by a snake or bear when walking back to your cabin at night.
7. Speaking of animals, bugs are an actual nightmare.
8. Never fully recovering from the exhaustion caused by Lifeguard training.
For the record, it’s nothing like Baywatch.
9. Realising how much of a handful the kids are going to be approximately 5 seconds after they arrive.
10. And immediately being confused by all the Americanisms they’re using,
11. Only to suddenly find that you’ve started to use them too.
It’s now trash and fries, not rubbish and chips.
12. You realise how scary lifeguarding is when you see the number of children in the water.
13. And day trips away from camp are nerve-wracking af.
Non-stop head counting 🙄
14. Being on permanent lookout for food fights.
If pizza or grilled cheese is on the menu, you’re doomed.
15 . And feeling yourself slowly turn into your parents.
“It’s like a bomb has gone off in this cabin! Clean it up right now!”
16. You’re in the First Aid cabin more than you thought you’d need to be.
Too many injured warriors.
17. And wishing it was possible to just take a break from the kids sometimes.
Waking you up in the middle of the night, playing pranks on you… Your days off are a blessing.
18. Whenever music plays, you’re constantly checking for bad language.
“Let’s skip this song, the beat is annoying.” 👀👀👀
19. Actually starting to miss the weather in the UK.
The heat can really get to you.
20. Especially when there’s a storm and you have to sit inside all day playing board games with the kids.
21. Never wanting to see a friendship bracelet ever again.
Not that you’d ever tell the kids.
22. But then when it’s time for your kids to leave, you don’t want to part from them.
23. Starting to miss camp before you’ve even left.
24. And immediately wanting to go straight back as soon as you arrive home.
The memories… 😢