16 Things You’ll See When Viewing Student Houses That Will Make You Want To Quit University
In spite of the notoriously low expectations and even lower standards students tend to have when it comes student houses, there are some things you will see during a house viewing that will make you want to quit university entirely.
1. Standards of living that are lower than you ever could have anticipated.
just viewed the most rotten student house in the history of forever. caked with filth. feeling a bit traumatised..
— Georgia (@georgiawake) February 4, 2012
2. And even higher levels of uncleanliness than you thought were possible.
Feeling physically dirty after viewing a student house
— Daniel Walker (@DanielTWalker) November 15, 2013
3. States of disrepair that make you question why you’re doing this.
Viewed a house today for next year at uni. It smelt like 23 old people had died in it over the course of the last 18 months. #ShitHole
— Jords (@JordanSMonk) February 1, 2013
4. And locations that make you wonder how exactly the rent can be so high.
— Joanna Rothwell (@Joanna_Rothwell) November 18, 2012
5. Some surprise features that you just can’t unsee.
@_M_Jo I once viewed a house as a student I swear there was a turd in the bath. I kid you not
— justmenothere (@justmesathere) September 8, 2012
6. Plus some distressingly serious damp problems.
Scuffed walls and a 'greasy' hob could be infinitely worse. One student house we viewed had mushrooms growing out of the ceiling
— Emma (@EmmaLBat) September 20, 2015
7. Really, really distressing damp problems.
No one moan about the state of your student house this year.. Look at our lovely mould in our kitchen cupboards 😷 pic.twitter.com/FbnduHz5It
— Harriet Matthews (@hattmatthews) October 14, 2014
8. A complete lack of shame on behalf of the current tenants.
Viewing a house and the guys are blatantly high, the house stinks of weed and there's a bong on the table. Ah student life.
— Kate Pilling (@CakeFilling) November 19, 2014
9. And even less shame from the estate agents who obstinately pretend that everything is fine when it clearly is not.
Was that a crack house or a student house that I just viewed..
— Nick Prendergast (@Nick_Pren) December 9, 2013
10. Current tenants who didn’t bother to get out of bed for the house viewing.
When my student house has a viewing and strangers just walk into my room while im sleeping 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊
— Anthony Kaas (@anthonykaass) September 30, 2015
11. And who didn’t bother to tell their guests to get out of bed either.
Went student house viewing today and in one room a girl had to hide in the corner behind the door because we'd interrupted them having sex
— Vic (@v1cccc) November 17, 2015
12. Surprising collections of toiletries.
You know its a student house when you casually see a bottle of VK chilling on the bathroom window sill 🙂 pic.twitter.com/RQEmt4rp
— Steph Richards (@Sharic2010) February 2, 2012
13. As well as great respect for health and safety.
Found this sign on the cooker: health and safety in my student house pic.twitter.com/WrHlMPmOFJ
— crazy eyes (@Flingry) November 6, 2015
14. Blatant discrepancies between the supposedly excellent quality of the insulation and the amount of layers the current tenants are wearing.
You know you live in a student house when you have to wear two jumpers and a blanket to be at normal body temperature ❄️❄️❄️
— chloe louise roberts (@chlooerooberts) November 19, 2015
15. And between what you were led to believe the house looked like, compared to what it actually looks like.
— Aimee Jones (@aimeelaceyjones) January 29, 2015
16. Basically, just so much traumatising disappointment that you might never get over it.
Went house viewing. Can honestly say student houses are bloody awful!
— Luna (@SoniaElisa1) January 9, 2015