18 Foolproof Ways To Identify a Final Year Student On Campus At This Time of Year
Final years are easily identifiable at this time of the year.
1. There seems to be a near-constant look of panic in their eyes.
2. And it’s increasingly evident that they’re lying when asked if they are OK.
3. They can often be heard mumbling under their breath about deadlines and word counts.
4. And you can break them by simply whispering the word “dissertation” in their direction.
5. If you visit the library, you’ll witness them occasionally look up from a screen and remember that the outside world exists.
6. And if you stick around long enough, you might even see them cry into one of the many books in front of them.
7. Their irrational anger is almost tangible when a first year dares to so much as breathe near them.
8. And all hell is guaranteed to break loose if one has the audacity to sit at their table in the library.
9. While everyone else looks stressed but relieved when handing in an essay, they just look resigned to their fate.
10. Their attempts at relaxing or taking a night off are unmistakably poor.
11. In fact, they appear to be made up of 50% Red Bull and 50% stress.
And 0% chill.
12. They flinch at the slightest mention of anything to do with the future.
13. And can occasionally be found looking lost and slightly broken outside your university’s careers department.
14. They appear to be in a permanent state of disbelief at how fast the time is flying.
15. And can be spotted suddenly attempting to tick every single item off their university bucket list.
16. If you spend too long in their company, you can feel their fear of the future start to rub off on you.
17. You can also witness them becoming over-emotional about the thought of doing student-y things for the last time.
Last reading week, last lecture in this particular lecture theatre, last time they have to plan an essay.
18. But, if you’re still unsure you’ve identified a final year, just ask them this: “Where do you think you’ll be this time next year?”
That will definitely work.