19 Times University Gave You Unrealistic Life Expectations
Going to university is an undeniably great experience. But it can also give you some really unrealistic expectations.
1. When you thought your degree would make you feel more intelligent.
I feel like university is making me more stupid.
— Irrelevant (@Mehakfatimaa) October 30, 2015
2. Or when you thought being a graduate alone would be enough to get you a great graduate job.
3. And that companies would be fighting over you rather than you fighting over them.
4. Becuase you thought that employers would be as impressed by your degree as your parents.
5. When you expected to find yourself at university.
6. And when you imagined that you would probably meet your intellectual soul mate.
7. Not to mention assuming that you would graduate knowing exactly what you want to do in life.
8. When you thought that surviving life as a student would prepare you for surviving life in the real world.
9. And that you’d never have to move back home after graduating.
I really feel that moving home after university is like being a plant that has outgrown its tiny pot but is being forced back in to it
— Beth. (@bethearts) July 18, 2015
10. When you thought that you would be ready for working adult life once you graduated.
11. And that those skills you learnt at university would be totally transferable.
12. When you imagined that you might always be able to live with your housemates.
13. And that you could stay in touch with each and every one of your university friends after graduating.
14. When you thought that university careers meetings would be the key to getting a job.
15. And you thought that job interviews would be easy because you read all those guides for what to say – or not – during an interview.
But you read that many that there were no words left for you to say.
16. When you just thought you would be offered some interviews in the first place, to be honest.
17. Or when you thought there would always be some sort of discount available to you.
18. When you assumed that going to a high achieving university would mean that you would achieve highly no matter what.
19. And when you believed that the motivational speech at the end of your graduation ceremony was a guarantee that everything would always be fine.
Because you have a degree now.