The 22 Stages of Submitting Your Dissertation
It feels like the day will never come while you’re writing it, but here’s what happens when it’s finally time to submit your dissertation.
1. You finally decide it’s finished. Finally.
f i n a l l y
2. And have to take a second to absorb what has just happened.
3. Because you honestly weren’t sure you were going to make it this far.
4. While part of you wants to start immediately celebrating…
5. Another part of you feels the need to hibernate for a few years to recover from the ordeal you’ve just been through.
6. You do a final proofread, barely believing you’re the one who wrote all of these words.
7. And pray that the blood, sweat and tears actually pay off and get you a good mark.
8. You save about a thousand copies of it to various different places, paranoid a disaster is about to strike.
9. And spend almost as long creating a cover page for it as you did writing some of the chapters.
“Logo or no logo? Is that font too big? Does it make it seem like I’m shouting?”
10. You hesitate before printing, partly because it feels very final to print it out.
You definitely can’t change the question once it’s printed.
11. And partly because you’ve just realised how much this is going to cost you.
12. Taking your work to be bound feels like one of the most university-ish moments you’ve had so far.
Better late than never…
13. And you hold the finished copies in your hands like:
14. Before taking an obligatory dissertation selfie.
Even though you’ve been judging other people for doing the exact same thing 👀
15. Being the author of a printed and bound dissertation suddenly becomes too much for your nerves.
16. You don’t know whether to feel relieved, resigned, smug or, frankly, absolutely terrified.
17. Last-minute self doubt creeps in and you briefly consider not handing it in just in case it’s actually awful.
18. Especially when you catch a glimpse of other people’s dissertation titles while you’re filling in the submission sheet.
19. Finally handing it over feels remarkably underwhelming for such a milestone moment.
20. And you suddenly feel like you don’t know what to do with yourself anymore.
“What did I used to think about before I had a dissertation to write?”
21. You enjoy a long-awaited sense of freedom for a short while…
22. Until you realise that, now your dissertation is finished, the next big milestone you have to complete is graduating.