8 Times You Sort of Hated Yourself for Studying Geography
Study Geography, they said. It’ll be fun, they said.
Field trips to exotic locations, getting to do fieldwork outside rather than being hunched up in a lecture hall for a good few hours, meeting people who love the world as much as you do. What’s not to love?
Well, lots of things actually.
1. When you just wanted to go travelling and write about it, but inevitably ended up using mapping software.
2. Or when everyone just says that all you do is ‘colouring in’.
3. When you realised you actually have to pay for all the field trips.
4. When you’d been looking forward to going outdoors for your lab class but the weather was always terrible.
5. When you were forced to do a compulsory module for the physical side of geography even though you’re a human geographer.
Or vice versa.
6. Whenever someone assumes that you know all the names and locations of every country in the world.
“Oh, you study Geography. You must know, right?”
7. When you find yourself having to explain to everyone the difference between human and physical geography – and you know they will still ask you again.
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.
8. And finally, when you had to acknowledge that, deep down, you only wanted to study Geography because you got inspired watching David Attenborough narrate shows.
When will he notice me? 💔