23 Struggles You’ll Recognise If You’ve Lived Through Winter as a University Student
Most of your time at university is spent during the colder months of the year. Which is odd because students and winter just do not mix.
1. Feeling even less motivated to get out of bed and go to lectures than you usually do because you risk getting frostbite as soon as you emerge from the covers.
Nope. Not going anywhere.
Weather got me like: pic.twitter.com/QrNE1hSyir
— Gabriela (@Gabrielaz_xo) October 4, 2015
2. Never being able to properly dry any of your clothes.
3. And eternally smelling of damp as a result.
I am doing my third wash in two days. I have two to three more loads. WHY DO ALL OF MY CLOTHES SMELL LIKE DAMP STUDENT HOUSE?
— Sally (@sallykwhite) March 26, 2015
4. Because the heating in your house is fundamentally not allowed to be turned on.
5. Which results in a petty boiler war every year.
LOL is my housemate asking for war or? been trying to dry washing for 3 hours & she keeps turning the heating off. #DPMO
— sweetcoco (@mysweetkoko) February 22, 2012
6. You can’t focus in lectures because all you can hear is coughing, sniffing and sneezing.
7. And you look out the window at 3pm and see that it’s already getting dark.
so depressing sitting in a lecture and it's already dark outside
— Danielle Leonard (@DanniieLeonardd) November 12, 2015
8. Which wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t also dark when you set off in the morning.
9. It’s nearly impossible to look good on a night out because the bad weather undoes all your hard work.
10. And every time you go out you have the long cloakroom debate before setting off.
Which just sobers you up and diminishes your beer jacket even more.
the moral dilemma of whether to bring a big coat and be cosy but pay for cloakroom, or bring small coat and be freezing cold with no pockets
— hann (@Hdans1975) November 15, 2015
11. When you do decide to take a coat out, the cloakroom queue at the end of the night is so long you consider just leaving it behind.
“It’s not worth it, I didn’t like it anyway!”
12. You’re coming to the end of your last student loan instalment, yet you’re still expected to buy presents and be generous.
13. Stepping out of the warm shower into your cold, mouldy bathroom.
When you step out of the shower and the air is subarctic pic.twitter.com/PP451kXuzH
— David (@gubner46) November 23, 2015
14. Any time you spend in the bathroom is basically awful.
15. Though at least people are more willing to do the dishes in winter because the warm water is a good cure for cold hands.
The *only* good thing about our winters is that it makes doing the dishes *slightly* enjoyable because your hands are warm for 20 minutes.
— Owen Goss (@OwenGoss) January 9, 2015
16. Having to spend considerably more time in the library just because it has central heating.
Going to the library at this hour simply to warm up.. #igloohouse
— Sinéad McGrath (@Shin_McG) November 23, 2015
17. But you have to hide from your library bae because the wind and rain has ruined your life.
18. Overheating your laptop because you keep using it as a heater under your bed covers.
Using my laptop charger as a heater bc it's cold as 💩 in my room.
— Anna (@AnnaReed1397) October 1, 2015
19. The cold weather always cools down your mid-essay tea far too quickly.
20. You can no longer tell the difference between damp and cold.
"Is this damp or is it just cold?" is the student life summed up in 8 words
— Charlie (@callmechar) October 4, 2015
21. Trying to type with freezing cold fingers.
— Gemma Walker (@GemWalkerTweets) October 4, 2015
22. You have all your deadlines in December but it’s also the month you’re least motivated to do work.
Too cold. Too dark. Too much to do.
23. And you spend most of your time just wishing Christmas break would come around already.
So you can go home and leech off your parents’ heating and food. And ignore all the revision you should probably be doing…
Living in a student house during winter is peak
— Natalie Biggs (@NatalieBiggs) November 22, 2015