24 Job Hunting Struggles You Finally Understand Now You’ve Left University
You might not have even left university yet, but you’re not letting that stop you.
1. Trying to dodge responsibility for as long as you possibly can…
dad: uni's over soon, have you starting applying for jobs yet?
— Lauren Butler (@laurenbutler_) April 5, 2016
2. But realising that if you don’t start now you probably never will.
time to start applying at 94729472 different jobs 🙃
— Meera Gagas (@gagas_) June 6, 2016
3. You quickly realise that looking for a job is as stressful as people say. And then some.
Me looking for a job right now pic.twitter.com/jygTmxqYMa
— elle chapo (@elletheelephant) May 23, 2016
4. Your lack of experience makes you regret every decision you’ve ever made before this point.
Me trying to get a job after uni 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/bsYvcJ0SFm
— E M M A (@emoedean) November 19, 2015
5. You wish you’d joined more societies and been more involved at uni.
me applying for a grad job after having done zero extracurricular activities at uni like pic.twitter.com/6lZe2DrIvz
— josefina ⚰ (@kriemhildsrache) May 28, 2016
6. And question whether having a degree is helping at all.
Me at job interviews after uni pic.twitter.com/ik3mhCRvlo
— Dillan Heil (@DillanHeil) May 23, 2016
7. You thought “how’s uni?” was bad. Now all you get is “how’s the job hunt going?” and “any luck yet?”
8. You realise how inappropriate your old email address is.
9. And have to choose between your friends pressuring you to have fun and your parents pressuring you to “do something with your life.”
10. Not knowing whether to go for a no-bullshit CV that is only half a page long, or to waffle and exaggerate to bulk it up.
My cv is so shit it's half a page long ffs 😂
— Connor (@mclexd) August 25, 2015
11. And if you don’t even have your results yet so you have to put “expected grade” on it.
12. And you really wish you actually get it so no one accuses you of lying in interviews.
13. You still don’t really know what you want to do so apply for pretty much anything.
"Have you got a job sorted out for after uni?" pic.twitter.com/edK80rYzC7
— James Tait (@OfficialTait) May 21, 2016
14. When you spend ages on your CV but then it makes you fill out an online application form anyway.
Swear this is the most annoying thing when applying for jobs! pic.twitter.com/cKe28M8QRQ
— Słonecznik ✨ (@Rae_Mazing) August 1, 2015
15. And then the form times out.
16. Not knowing what a cover letter should say so reading over your university personal statement thinking that will help.
It doesn’t. So. Cringe. 🙈
17. You start to think you’d actually rather write another dissertation than go through this.
18. When you proudly send off an application and think “I got this”.
19. And then no one even replies.
When you apply for all the jobs and internships but your inbox is empty. pic.twitter.com/ZrDFK16PMj
— ♡Cariad Fiddy♡ (@cariadfiddy) March 15, 2016
20. Imagining what you’ll say in interviews and struggling to come up with any worthwhile answers.
applying for graduate jobs👍🏼 pic.twitter.com/pbgKDHRRZY
— eviewinstanley (@EvieWinstanley) January 4, 2016
21. Constantly mood swinging between this mentality…
"What job do you want after uni?" pic.twitter.com/UJUjU95Fsb
— Jack (@jxckhy) March 30, 2016
22. And this.
Can't wait till I have a job and I get to just buy myself things
— Blanca Lopez (@blanca_wonka) June 1, 2016
23. Hearing about people who have managed to secure a graduate job before you.
When people tell me they already have their job lined up for after graduation pic.twitter.com/jmFwY7Bapk
— faith (@faith__tork) November 17, 2015
24. All the while wondering whether you should just go back to uni instead.
fuck it, i'm applying for a masters degree here.
— zoya rehman (@pind_wave) June 2, 2016