24 Things You’ll Only Understand If You Were On The Student Newspaper at University
You didn’t really know what you were getting yourself into when you joined your student newspaper. But by the end of it, you never wanted to leave.
1. You had fears that your first taster day would end like this.
2. And you thought you’d probably never get published.
3. Until you realised that editors are often a bit desperate for content.
And weren’t afraid to show it.
4. You very much thought the environment would be like this.
5. But it was actually far from that.
6. InDesign training days were chaos.
When Indesign crashes 🙃
— Scout Mitchell (@scout_mitchell) February 22, 2016
7. And there were never enough computers.
8. It was the most hot & cold society you could join. You’d ignore it for weeks, and then when print deadline was near spend 70 sleepless hours of your life there.
9. Newspaper all-nighters > essay all-nighters.
No contest. Especially when someone ordered Domino’s.
10. But you were somehow expected to go on socials after them.
11. You were prepared to defend your student newspaper with your life.
12. And wouldn’t let anyone speak ill of it.
13. Being on the committee was like being royalty.
14. Though the speech you had to make to get on the team is a lot more intimidating than any uni group project.
When you can't use notecards for your speech and your standin in front of the class like an idiot pic.twitter.com/vBvdvNh5zt
— Wade Whitaker (@Wade44) August 16, 2014
15. And the elections for an exec position could break up even the best of friendships.
16. Some people took the Guardian Student Media Awards way too far.
2 days until the launch of The Guardian Student Media Awards 2015. Stay tuned and get ready to enter!
— Guardian SMA2015 (@gdnstudentmedia) July 8, 2015
17. There was always at least one student determined to break the next big controversial story.
18. People who skipped out as soon as their pages were finished were the worst.
When someone doesn't pull their weight in a group project pic.twitter.com/c3SXZA3ShF
— the scoob (@emdubin) February 9, 2016
19. If you were able to design your own pages, the black and white cursors on InDesign were the bane of your life.
It's cute when InDesign objects follow my cursor after I've placed them. Actually, more mind-numbingly annoying than cute.
— Evan Stremke (@EvanStremke) May 8, 2012
20. And you always forgot to edit your images before putting them in.
21. You lived for merch.
They have arrived!! pic.twitter.com/rtnOCDVj
— Seren (@serenbangor) September 12, 2012