27 Lessons You Learn The Hard Way When You Go To University
Of everything you learn at university, these are the lessons that stick with you.
1. It’s important to look your best on photo day.
2. Missing one seminar means missing them all.
not going to my seminar because I havnt done my readings. bad student?
— CerysGregory (@CerysGregory) October 14, 2013
3. Everyone did a gap year but you.
And they all want to tell you about it.
4. Triples and Quads exist and they will be forced upon you in Freshers’ Week.
5. You will always live with at least one person you hate or who creeps you out.
It wouldn't be a proper uni experience without that one rude and annoying flatmate
— rosalind (@ravencI4w) February 15, 2016
6. And uni is actually just like high school sometimes.
7. Not all lecture halls look like this.
8. 90% of your uni is probably made of concrete and conveniently wasn’t shown on the prospectus.
My first class on the Tempe campus and it's a concrete block.. No windows. Well this is depressing
— Cassandra Murawski (@cass_mowski) January 11, 2016
9. Wikipedia is both a blessing and a curse.
10. A-Level didn’t teach you that much and you’re not as intelligent as you thought you were.
the jump from A level biology to uni level biology is like going from climbing a set of stairs to climbing everest
— harry spence (@HarrySpenny) May 25, 2016
11. And just because you liked studying something in college doesn’t mean you’ll like it at degree level.
Uni has taught me that I hate my course
— Jevans (@jackyevs) March 6, 2014
12. Second year is 100 times harder than first year.
Was not ready for the jump from first to second year 😟😫
— Courtneyyyy ☺ (@courtsprestage) October 8, 2015
13. The 1% between 69 and 70 is the hardest percentage point to get.
— Sarah-Jane Watters (@SarahhhhhhJane) February 11, 2014
14. Everyone wants you to do something for them.
I'm that nice person that does everyone's survey monkey for their uni work
— brooke (@BrookeOConnorxo) April 26, 2016
15. You don’t really need to buy every book on the reading list.
If I bought all of the books on my uni reading list it would cost me £452.38😐
— Heidi Henden (@HeidiHenden) July 6, 2014
16. And the bookshop on campus is about 75% more expensive than everywhere else.
Dear Blackwell's… pic.twitter.com/06GdfemhWO
— The Daily Touch (@TheDailyTouch) February 16, 2016
17. Thousands of pounds really doesn’t go very far.
18. There’s always too much pasta.
Me at uni pic.twitter.com/P3O8P6GBbs
— lauren. (@LHH38) July 28, 2016
19. Making eye contact with a lecturer is enough to make you want to drop the module.
Me when a lecturer makes eye contact pic.twitter.com/FWvIKIMDqR
— Moey (@MoeyHussain) November 18, 2015
20. And when lecturers say “there’s no such thing as a stupid question” they are lying. There is, and it’s yours.
21. Local residents really don’t like you.
22. If you take a library book home over a holiday, it will be recalled.
When somebody recalls a book I'm using for my essay DURING CHRISTMAS TERM AS IF I AM GOING TO TRAVEL TO UCL TO HAND DELIVER THIS BOOK?????
— K (@youkayatsix) December 28, 2015
23. Avoiding your supervisor may seem like a good idea at the time, but it will never end well for you.
I swear to god, I'm about to hit week 5 at uni and I still don't know the name of my bioscience tutor………… Lol gonna fail so bad rn
— Mary ••• (@Maryy_Sleiman) March 17, 2016
24. It’s impossible to revise in an untidy room.
I clean when i get stressed so instead of good grades I'll have a clean room tomorrow
— Samantha leigh (@samantha_slb221) December 15, 2015
25. Or on an empty stomach.
I try revise, then I get hungry, so I cook something, then I'm too full to revise, so I rest
— allyce (@Allyce_Cannon) June 16, 2016
26. Final year comes around very quickly.
it feels like just yesterday that i was in first year
— Alan D (@f0gmaster) August 4, 2016