Everything That Will Happen On Your University Graduation Day
Graduation: the culmination of all those years of study. And what do you get? Your name mispronounced and an awkward photo even your gran will struggle to cherish.
Forget what you think will happen, here’s the reality.
1. Even if you are actually excited, your parents will be more excited. This is their day.
i think my mum is more excited for my graduation than i am lol she has been preparing for days. Mama, chill. :)))
— regie sy (@regiesy) June 4, 2016
2. The day is also not about getting your degree, it’s about standing around and queuing. Firstly to collect your gowns.
Collecting the graduation gown but the queue’s long af
— Mel (@moonlightbvex) April 23, 2016
3. Wearing your robes does actually make you feel a bit badass, though.
me at graduation with my first https://t.co/HapbyGzgQQ
— Megan Linehan (@Megatron_L) June 22, 2016
4. But then everyone ruins it by doing this.
— lynsey smith (@lynseyjayne) June 25, 2014
5. After all the anticipation, you think you’d be happy to see everyone again.
Can't wait to see everyone dressed up for graduation tomorrow☺️💃🏻
— emily (@emilyneale1999) June 30, 2016
6. But in reality you’re just reminded of all those people on your course you didn’t like.
Everyone else: Best 4 years ever!! I'm gonna miss all of you 😩😭😞👋🏻 #classof2016
Me at graduation: pic.twitter.com/6ozgwrNc8c
— Ems (@secretpunkass) June 9, 2016
7. You will feel ridiculous all day. Partly because you measured your head wrong.
My Graduation Cap just barely fits my head.🎓
— Ukulele Man™ (@MattyExperience) June 24, 2016
8. But it’s ok because you have bigger things to worry about. Like not falling over at any point.
— WORLD STAR FANS (@WorldStarFunny) June 12, 2016
9. Someone will though. Inevitably.
me at graduation pic.twitter.com/SiNijpqonD
— gary from grindr (@checkmike12) June 6, 2016
10. More queuing. This time to get into the hall.
— Paul Greatrix (@registrarism) December 11, 2015
11. You don’t even get to celebrate with your real friends because they probably studied something different to you.
I wish we can choose who we graduate with 😭
— tats (@deartaaaaaty) June 13, 2014
12. You walk in like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who are these people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i forgot to post this but this was me at graduation pic.twitter.com/eHtKuVohte
— fergie ✨ (@SailorPoo) June 8, 2016
13. The ceremony is much longer than you think it will be.
me on graduation ceremony this month: pic.twitter.com/b7dpOM7ThY
— . (@mirjfiiz) February 1, 2016
14. You have to clap at everything. You might as well just not stop actually.
Me at a graduation waiting for the speeches to be over. pic.twitter.com/ZnJIOLX11J
— crusio (@State_oF_mind_) June 8, 2016
15. You will space out several times thinking about ~the future~.
Me at my sit during graduation waiting on my diploma. 👀 pic.twitter.com/lR0kd7sCOM
— ✨ (@the__bambino) June 7, 2016
16. But everyone’s mutual hatred for the people delivering the speeches will bring you back to life.
17. Even if your name is something easy, like Bob, they will say it wrong, ruining everything.
— Møñ¡$åh™ (@monisah18) June 29, 2016
18. And if you’re at the end of the alphabet then you’re basically screwed.
Me at graduation tonight pic.twitter.com/FuQzRvnpNH
— Lexie Trev (@thenamestreble_) June 6, 2016
19. You need to come to terms with the fact that, at some point, someone is talking shit about you.
But it’s cool because you spend the whole ceremony doing the same about other people.
Was trying to look for the picture and instead found this one from my graduation. My friends are so kind lmao pic.twitter.com/y1CBkvdKuR
— Elena (@EhLenUh) June 28, 2016
20. Some parents will go too far when their child’s name is called.
You just hope it isn’t yours.
This is def gonna be me at my kids graduation 😭💀 pic.twitter.com/4ANNqrzYDc
— EndlessMoves (@EndlessMoves) June 19, 2016
21. You feel like you’re at school again when you head back outside and can’t find your parents.
When you're done graduating and can't find your parents. pic.twitter.com/yNz4SrHMmi
— Typical Girl (@SoDamnTrue) June 8, 2016
22. Everyone will pose for photos like this. Or do something similarly hilarious and original.
Describes me at graduation pic.twitter.com/hwEvjszJdK
— syd (@sistersydneyy) June 24, 2016
23. And you will say this under your breath at least ten times throughout the day.
this will be me at graduation pic.twitter.com/0tt8iN4Jdx
— Gossip Girl (@GossipGirltbh) June 22, 2016
24. It’s not all bad of course. You throw your hat around (if health and safety doesn’t stop you) and you get a bit emotional about it all.
25. But then oh look you’re queuing again. This time for your official graduation photo.
Which is supposed to be special but is actually just awful.
On my day of graduation I finally found out how to queue
— Joe Hill (@_JoeHill) June 24, 2015
26. You will smile but the photographer will tell you you’re not smiling.
They won’t give in until you reveal every tooth in your mouth.
The photographer for graduation was….. HORRIBLE 🙃
— Keeks (@kiararivas13) June 27, 2016
Smiling like chandler bing on my graduation photo
— Remi Peers (@RemiPeers) July 16, 2015
27. All in all you think you’re going to spend the day drinking champagne from the bottle but in reality you’re just too busy waiting for things to happen.
Me waiting to graduate like pic.twitter.com/b0NgxlmUjf
— Mad (@MadiNeurohr) June 13, 2016
28. When it’s finally over you’re so tired and done you just want to leave forever.
Me at graduation tomorrow pic.twitter.com/OL3w6DY5ZS
— S✗D (@sydthekid_____) June 13, 2016
29. And then the true reality of the day hits you. You’re a graduate.
— Oscar Lopez (@ohmyoscar) May 11, 2015