22 Times You’re Allowed To Feel Bitter as a Graduate
Life as a graduate is a tough one. With feelings of inadequacy coming at you from all angles, it’s hard not to feel jealous, or even bitter, every once in a while.
AKA, all the time.
1. At graduation, when all your friends with 1sts collect their degrees.
2. And when people are actually able to answer the “what do you want to do with your life?” question.
Meanwhile you’re still clueless.
3. When you think of all the people who miraculously have enough years of experience to apply for your dream job.
4. When your parents and grandparents tell you how young they were when they bought their first house.
5. When you realise you don’t have a spare flat in London you can move into for unpaid internship opportunities.
6. When people on Facebook brag about how “together” their lives are.
7. Particularly when they instagram their delicious, home-cooked meals.
You press ‘like’ as you sip your tinned tomato soup.
8. Whenever someone finds a graduate job that is relevant to their degree.
9. Eventually, you even feel jealous when someone just finds a stable job. Degree-related or not.
A steady 9-5, that’s all you need.
10. Every Summer, Easter, Christmas and Half Term when it dawns on you that you’ll never have that much time off again.
11. When any of your friends mention how their parents are letting them live rent free.
12. And whenever any of them are lucky enough to be able to move out.
13. Every time you hear how much those people from school who didn’t go to university are earning.
14. When all the uni bars you still like on Facebook invite you to Freshers parties.
15. Whenever you have to turn down meeting up with your uni friends because money.
16. When people who can afford holidays tag themselves in at the airport.
Another sad like from you.
17. When you see people drinking in beer gardens in the middle of the day.
Meanwhile you still have 6 more hours of work to go.
18. When you walk into a shop and see all the student discount offers.
19. When you get a hangover from just a few drinks and think of how tolerant to alcohol you used to be.
At least you’re jealous of yourself this time.
20. When you finally get a LinkedIn but it just makes you feel inadequate.
Zero connections and zero skills. What is my life.
21. When people have the confidence to pack it all in and go travelling for a few months.
22. And then proceed to post their incredible photos all over social media.
When does life get sweet?