16 Things You’ll Understand If You Already Hate Your Dissertation
You’ve not even started it yet but you already know it belongs in the bin.
1. You put off properly thinking about it for as long as possible.
2. Even when other people on your course had already started to do their literature reading, you still had no solid idea.
3. “You really should be finalising your topic now” they said in second year, but you didn’t.
Why am I sat in a lecture about my dissertation when I'm only two months into my second year 😴😴
— Emma (@s_herbbbb) November 25, 2015
4. “Dissertations are for final year” you told yourself.
Answers on a postcard as to why I have to finish pretty much 25% of my dissertation by next WednesdayI I'm only a 2nd year for god sake!
— Rhys Roberts (@RhysRobz94) March 10, 2015
5. “I don’t need to worry just yet”
life is great when I'm not thinking about my non-existent dissertation topic…
— bayboo (@ShugarPlox) August 4, 2016
6. The summer between second and final year came around and you still didn’t know wtf you were doing.
With your diss or your life.
If anyone could put a dissertation topic in my head that would be great plz
— nina wilkinson (@ninaaWilkinson) August 22, 2016
7. And you weren’t 100% who your supervisor even was.
i've been allocated a dissertation supervisor but i don't know who they are yet. so, to whoever you are, apologies in advance
— hannah ☁️ (@hannahcburke_) April 30, 2016
8. You tried to just enjoy summer, thinking about your dissertation very little. If at all.
It just dawned on me that I have 12 days to think of and write a proposal for my dissertation topic
That is not happening
— ratnip (@ImNatnip) August 18, 2016
9. And now final year is actually here. It’s actually really here.
1st of September today and I still have no idea what my dissertation topic is??? 🙂🙃
— Courtney (@MrGoodridge) September 1, 2016
10. Fuck it. That vague, really rough idea you came up with when drunk in second year is now your legit real-life dissertation topic.
My topic for my dissertation is memes x x
— Mill (@millycraddock) September 4, 2016
11. You never intended for it to be but you have no choice now. You just have to go with it.
Why do we do this to ourselves????
Wait, I need to have a page summary of my dissertation topic sent by October 3rd? Let me just vomit.
— Rai. (@RaissaMakaila) August 12, 2016
12. You’re really behind and everyone knows it.
You hope things will work out. They don’t.
I may have made a teensy little exaggeration on how much progress I've done on my dissertation and my supervisor wants to see it on thursday
— Matt Yeezy Viner (@MatthewViner) June 28, 2016
13. Now you actually have to start working on it, you wish you’d started sooner so you still had time to change topics.
Thinking of changing my dissertation topic two months before submission date
— Mikey ✌️ (@AgonistKira) July 29, 2016
14. And after ignoring your supervisor all summer, you now get annoyed at them for not responding to you.
You try your best to get their attention, but there’s no hope for you now.
15. “I’ll just have to make up for it in my other modules” you say, thinking about the year ahead.
My dissertation is gonna be a fail 😂😭
— Nina Simone Keane (@NinaKeaney) October 27, 2014
16. And spend the rest of your time working out what percentages you’ll need if you do actually fail your dissertation.
I think i've spent more time working out the minimum passing mark i can get than actually working so far at uni….
— Zoë Parker (@zoeparker_) April 27, 2013
It’s gonna be a fun year.