The 11 Stages of Searching For a Graduate Job, As Told By Drake’s ‘Hotline Bling’
Looking for a graduate job can be an emotional time. But, whatever happens, at least Drake seems to understand everything you’re feeling.
1. You start off feeling ready to take on the challenge of being a graduate.
You have a degree now. You’re ready. You can do this.
2. And you begin optimistically scrolling through millions of job applications.
You could do anything. The world is your oyster.
3. But that optimism starts to wear off quickly.
How will you ever find a job if you need experience for everything? How will you ever gain any experience if you can’t find a job?
4. You start to wonder whether you’re really cut out for graduate life.
Maybe you should have just stayed at uni forever?
5. While questioning if you’ll ever get a job.
This isn’t what you signed up for when you paid those uni fees.
6. Finally managing to secure an interview is almost too much for you to handle.
What if you screw it up? What if you get there and it’s not everything you expected? What if you love it but they go with someone else?
7. Finally managing to actually land a job is even harder to handle.
Am I ready? How long is it going to take for people to realise I have no idea what I’m doing?
8. Until you realise that no one else *really* knows what they’re doing, either.
They all just know the right things to say.
9. And you learn that the trick to succeeding in
work life basically comes down to confidence.
Much like it did in your uni exams, really.
10. You can’t deny that you sometimes miss your student life.
It’s hard not to when Facebook memories force you reminisce all the time.
11. But you eventually come to accept that, although graduate working life isn’t perfect, it’s not all that bad.
You’re basically living a student’s life but this time you can afford it. 😅