14 Expectations You Had of Being a 1st Year Student Vs. The Reality
Being a first year university student isn’t always how you imagined it would be.
1. You didn’t expect the jump between A Level and degree level to be all that big.
If it was, surely fewer people would do degrees, right?
Reality: This was you in your very first lecture:
2. You were under the impression that lectures and seminars would be much more exciting than the lessons you had at school.
You are paying £9k a year after all.
Reality: There’s a lot more PowerPoint involved than you anticipated.
Like, a lot.
3. You imagined you’d have a lit social life throughout the entire year.
Reality: Freshers’ Week almost destroyed you and now you barely have enough energy to got to uni, never mind go out.
4. You envisioned nailing that whole cooking three meals a day for yourself thing.
You’re a strong, independent student now.
Reality: You’re lucky if you eat one meal a day that isn’t leftover pizza.
5. You imagined that, having flown the nest, you’d probably never want to go home again.
Except for Christmas obvs.
Reality: You’ve instantly gained a new appreciation for home and love it more than ever.
6. You were really sure that you were ready to survive without adult supervision.
“Of course I can do my own laundry, thanks for asking, Mum.”
Reality: You prove on a daily basis that this is not the case.
7. You also thought that this year would be the one where you really start to find yourself.
Reality: You’re not even sure you’re a real person anymore.
Cue existential crisis.
8. You expected doing your own independent research for the first time would be empowering.
Reality: You were wrong.
9. You didn’t think you’d ever have dared to skip a lecture when you’re paying for your education.
Reality: You soon started to go to lectures on a need-to-know basis.
10. You thought that because you chose this degree you would enjoy doing all the work for it.
Reality: The work you’ve been set so far is kind of making you hate everything about the subject.
11. You thought your grades wouldn’t matter because first year doesn’t count.
Reality: It turns out it does kind of matter and the stress is real.
12. You thought having a student loan would mean you always had money for the foreseeable future.
Reality: You’re way, way poorer than you could ever have imagined.
13. You were expecting to feel like you’d be turning into an expert in your chosen field by the end of the year.
Reality: The only thing you’ve really become an expert in is procrastinating. And napping.
14. You didn’t think ~the future~ would be on your mind yet.
It’s only first year.
Reality: You are actually horrified by how fast the time seems to be flying.
It’ll be final year before you know it at this rate.
The reality of being a first year doesn’t quite live up to expectations, but this doesn’t have to be the case for the rest of your time at uni.
Fresh Student Living provide accommodation that actually will meet up to your expectations.
Don’t believe us? See for yourself.