21 Essential Things You Should Know Before You Move To London
You’re finally making the move to the big city. But before you go, there’s a few things you should probably know. After all, London is like nowhere else…
1. Always assume you’re wearing too many layers if you plan on getting the tube.
No matter how cold a day it is, you will always be sweaty on the tube.
2. Every time you think to yourself, “that must be including bills” it is never including bills.
Flat hunting in London for the first time will change the way you think about money.
3. Don’t be fooled by the £2 minimum fare on Boris Bikes.
Your journey will never be that cheap. Unless you’re Arnold Schwarzenegger.
4. If you don’t have a contactless card yet, get one.
No self-respecting Londoner has time to wait for chip and pin.
5. Don’t always assume the tube is the fastest route. Sometimes it’s actually quicker to walk.
Charing Cross to Embankment is just 300m and Leicester Square is just 250m from Covent Garden. Definitely easier to walk.
6. If you don’t spend your weekend afternoons browsing markets, you’re doing something wrong.
So. Much. Food.
7. Your job might say “9-5” but you’ll be working a lot more than that.
This is London after all. Prepare for a work hard, play hard.
8. You don’t have to press the buttons on tube doors, but you definitely do for the overground.
Don’t be that guy standing waiting for them to open by themselves. The train will leave without you.
9. Wearing trainers with your smart office wear is totally acceptable.
Commuting comfort is key.
10. This is because the walking speed in London is 3mph faster than the rest of the country.
11. “Thirsty Thurdays” are real in London. Seriously.
You will drink more than you do on the weekend and be expected to show up for work the next day.
12. You will aimlessly wander around at night more than a few times.
A) because you don’t know where you’re going and B) because you’re looking for somewhere that doesn’t charge £10 to get in.
13. Having friends on the opposite side of London is the same as having no friends.
14. You will go to places just so you can talk about it on social media.
15. Thanking bus drivers is not normal here.
16. If you’ve never queued to eat in a restaurant before, you should warm to that idea immediately.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Always queueing.
17. Headphones are an essential purchase.
What else are you going to do on the tube, talk to people?
18. Prepare not to recognise yourself after just a few hours of living in London.
Your patience won’t last long in London and you’ll soon be cursing every tourist and slow walker you see.
19. Invest in a blender.
Because you won’t have time to digest solids in the morning.
20. The Citymapper app will help you get around.
Even London veterans use it. An essential download.
21. And once you know where you’re going, Commuter Club will get you there cheaper.
All the savings of an annual travel card without the upfront costs. Just what you need when you’re moving to London. Click the button below to learn more and start saving. Promo code GRADTCH = extra £20 off.