22 Things You Will Only Know If You Have Done a Summer at Camp
There’s no place like camp.
1. Everything tastes better cooked over a campfire.
2. Pizza night is the highlight of your week.
3. And days off are never boring.
4. But the same can be said for days when you’re on duty.
5. Your camp friends are your soulmates.
You would literally do anything for them
6. Bonding with your co-counsellors invariably takes place over that one kid who makes everyone’s life difficult.
7. And you laugh together at the many, utterly bizarre questions campers ask.
My camper just asked me if God does the whip in Heaven…
— Jared Patterson (@Llamabrooks) September 23, 2015
8. You start to accidentally pick up everyone’s accents.
9. And have to repeat yourself multiple times because no one understands what you’re saying.
10. As far as camp fashion is concerned, anything goes.
11. Colour wars make you feel like you’re at school sports days again.
Colour wars at pre camp today, best day ever!! 💜💛💚💙❤️ pic.twitter.com/MC58rsQPsG
— Courtney Irvine (@courtneyirvine7) June 20, 2015
12. And you don’t truly know competition until you play Capture The Flag.
13. And if you manage to shower more than once a week, you’re doing better than most.
14. But you still won’t be able to get rid of the smell of bug spray, sunscreen, and campfire that’s permanently stuck to your skin.
15. You will inevitably have the words (and actions) to every camp song carved into your memory until your dying day.
The Princess Pat and her rigabamboo are here to stay. *sigh*.
16. You actually learn to enjoy living without your phone or WiFi.
Even though it means you have absolutely no idea what’s going on in the outside world.
17. And you soon find that you can turn almost anything into a game.
18. Your greatest sense of achievement all summer comes from mastering a particularly tricky friendship bracelet pattern.
19. Aside from being looked up to by your campers, of course.
20. You’re often too busy to feel homesick, but immediately feel campsick once it’s over.
21. Saying goodbye to all the friends you made is one of the worst things you’ve ever had to do.
22. And from the moment you leave, you start counting down the days until next summer.
just take me back to summer camp already
— Dunce, The Warp King (@highfives_) September 9, 2016
If you’re looking for your next rewarding summer experience, ISSOS are recruiting for the coming season.
ISSOS have summer school locations in both the UK and US. Click below to learn more and apply.