16 Unhelpful Things Every Student Is Sick of Hearing In Their Essay Feedback
Is there anything worse than reading through less-than-helpful essay feedback and coming away feeling as though you don’t know what to do in the future? The answer is no.
1. “I don’t understand what you are trying to say here.”
Well, what did you think I was trying to say?
2. “You need to concentrate on the question more.”
What exactly do you think I was trying to do?
3. “You could have used a better word here.”
Yes, but I didn’t. Is this the end of the world?
4. “This paragraph seems rushed.”
5. “And this one is too long.”
There is just NO pleasing you people.
6. “Don’t focus so much on this one point.”
This one point being the subject matter of the essay?
7. “Focus more on this point.”
MAKE UP YOUR MIND.
8. “Let the essay flow more naturally.”
This is an essay, not the Niagara Falls.
9. “The essay needs to be more structured.”
Bit late now.
10. “I don’t think you understand the question.”
Are you sure it’s not just that you don’t understand what I’ve written?
11. “You clearly haven’t done enough research.”
If only you knew.
12. “You’ve referenced this incorrectly.”
Well, that comment sure helped.
13. “Don’t bring new points into the conclusion.”
I am literally rewording my previous points.
14. “Your bibliography is incorrect.”
Another extremely helpful comment. Thank you. 🙂
15. “Consult the handbook for help.”
I did. It wasn’t helpful.
16. “If you have any questions about the feedback come and see me.”
At this point I don’t care any more.