15 Things Every Queen’s University Belfast Student Needs To Do This Christmas
We are all guilty of complaining about Belfast every now and then, but there are some highlights to check out at QUB and beyond this Christmas. After all, the excitement doesn’t start and end with the Christmas tree on top of the Whitla Hall (although that is pretty exciting). 🎄
1. Head to City Hall.
Among the various continental dishes, the strange wood carvings and questionable knitwear, the smell of the wonderfully weird, warm alcohol draws students from far and wide. Think mulled wine and Bailey’s coffee… we all end up at the beer tent in the end, though.
2. Go to your society’s Christmas night out.
The perfect opportunity to don your Christmas jumper and have a cocktail or a few. What better way is there to REALLY get to know your classmates?
3. Enjoy the hustle and bustle of a jam-packed city centre.
Alright, so crowds aren’t most people’s idea of a good time, but if you show up when the Christmas lights are being turned on or there is an open air concert or a competition at Victoria Square it’s hard not to get involved.
4. Get a hot chocolate from Café Hope.
5. Have an early Christmas dinner.
Whether it’s a culinary challenge with your housemates or you make the wise choice to all go out to The Speakeasy, it’s a must.
6. Visit Santa’s grotto.
You’re never too old, and if some of your buddies have scored the coveted job of working as an elf at Castlecourt, well, a photo with them is just icing on the cake (even if they won’t thank you for it).
7. Take advantage of the late night shopping.
Whether you’re buying for Secret Santa or for yourself, some retail therapy after class is bound to make you feel merry.
8. Cram in a quiz.
Winning the bar tab at Eg and indulging in a few tipples, you just can’t go wrong.
9. Call into the (not so) Secret Garden.
This year at Filthy’s they have a Christmas tipi – twinkly lights and live music…’nuff said.
10. Treat yourself to some cocktails at Madison’s.
11. Go to a showing of a Christmas classic at the SU or the QFT.
12. Enjoy some festive carol singing.
Alright, so you’re probably thinking no one actually does this, but the Law society does this for charity on an annual basis. So take in the wonder of Dr Stanard belting out some classics.
13. Be on the look out for pop-ups.
You don’t want to miss a beauty like the crisp sandwich shop again. “That Wee Cafe”- gone but not forgotten.
14. Most of all, you need to make the most of having a break from the McClay.
You deserve it.
15. And the fact that you can have a revision-free Christmas break.
This is the first year at QUB with pre-Christmas break assessments, meaning once you’re done, you can stop thinking about them for the entirety of Christmas. 🙌